Sunday, June 23, 2013

Field Day 2013

Elevation of Field Day Site


I survived Field Day and ended up running a 1B at 50W for a total QSO count of 13 (had one dupe, how I don't know with that few contacts) which totaled up to 26 points (+100).  I found that my laptop and especially my USB-Serial port made so much noise that they were useless for digital modes.  I'll need to do some serious investigation and/or purchase new equipment to solve this major problem.  Once I disconnected the USB-Serial port I could see many signals on the screen but it was still noisy.  Then I removed the charging cord and all the noise went away and was left with a black screen full of PSK31 signals.  I tried to answer a few CQs on 20m but at 5W PSK Reporter only showed a couple of stations heard me.

PSK Reporter


My antenna was not where I wanted it but the rope I brought to hoist it up in the trees was so sun rotted that the bark on the pine trees tore it up so bad I couldn't hoist the rope to pull the antenna up.  I settled for some smaller trees about 10 feet and propped the middle of the OCF up with a 10 foot branch someone had hauled into camp for firewood.


OCF DX-40 at 10 Feet

20m SSB was poor when I tried so I switched to 40m and tried to answer some CQs. Lo and behold I had people answer me!  I worked 40m SSB until conditions started to fade and my battery wouldn't handle 50W anymore.

Working 40M SSB


Next year I need some para-cord and fix the computer noises to have a successful Field Day on 5W Digital for a better score.

I think for my QTH I need a separate shielded shack and filtered power to have quiet conditions.

Hope to see you on the air!

73

AJ4UU 

No comments:

Post a Comment